Sunday, May 25, 2008

REVIEW: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls

Directed by Steven Spielberg
Starring Harrison Ford, Karen Allen, Cate Blanchett and Shia LaBeouf



Oh , Indie, how we've missed you.

Look, there have been some pretty bashing reviews, people out there attacking this Indiana Jones straight to the very core, but I belong to the positive side and there I will gladly stay. This movie deserves to belong on the shelf along with the other three. Is it the best in the series? Hell no! But it does belong with the others. And seeing the track record of reviving old, rotting series so far, that's about as good as you could possible expect.


I'm 18 years old, that means I did not grow up watching the movies in that glorious old theater. But I did grow up as a child watching the original films on VHS again, and again. So I know the first films, I loved the first film, and so I went into the theater ready with a flaming cocktail if the film dared let me down. But it isn't perfect, it's actually far from it. But what makes this film works is how it triumphs despite it.

So let's start with the bad first. For one thing, when Spielberg promised a film nearly devoid of C.G.I. I was thrilled, I dearly hoped for the original fell of the originals. But the truth is far from it. Rather, it is loaded with so much effects, it tones down many of the scenes. And some are just plain laughable and not in the good way (The monkey scene anybody?). And what it does to the finale is simply disappointing, which leads us to my other big gripe about the film... the ending.



You see, the ending just wasn't Indy. He barely does anything, and the entire thing shakes, explodes and goes crazy with him basically just there to watch everything occur. It does not destroy the film, rather it simply is a weak final act, which is I guess forgivable seeing that so many scenes aside from it were just magic.

And finally, I have my biggest problem with it, the screenplay. It's not bad, but it does go wrong at some pretty big places. For one thing, the plot is roughly patched together, and the adventure itself plays little to serve as the movie's point of interest, that honor belongs to the characters (of whose interactions are both amazing and way too few in between). I do not care about the far fetched plot, it does not seem all that more unbelievable than Nazi's looking for the power of God or the occult prying beating hearts out of you body. Rather it's how little heart it actually adds into the mix.


But thankfully, the good parts of this film answers all these problems and quite a lot more. For one, let's talk about what really made us all come back to watch this movie. Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones. The man has been under the radar lately, but the moment he puts that hat back on you know he's back. There is just no one else who can do that role but him, and he comes back to take on the role just exactly the way we all remember, and for that he shines. From that smug look to that "I've been there before" tone, it's just pure nostalgia with every line, every joke and every reference to good old days. He does not do as much stunts as he did before, but come on the man's 65 you can't expect him to. But what he does is more than enough and every time he pulls through, you begin to remember just why you fell in love with him in the first place.

Also, while the ending fell flat, that does not mean the other scenes do. Say what you want about Spielberg, but in my opinion he is unparalleled in creating intense action scenes that keeps the heart pounding and adds in a chortle or even a jolt of laughter here and there. Besides, the man has never made a bad movie yet, at least not for me. And so it is clearly his style and his movie at every scene, and he steers it magnificently. Both the motorbike scene and the truck chase are entertaining beyond measure, just how Indiana scenes are supposed to feel. And when the action is absent, that good hold Indiana sense of humor and heart of gold is always present to keep you glued.



Adding to that is the return of Marion, who we all know is the only one Indie was meant to be with. From the first time she shows up, you know every single scene involving the two will sizzle with pure chemistry. Added into the mix is Mutt Williams or as we all would rather call him I'm sure, Henry Jones III. I'm at a lost for Shia as the heir to the hat. He does an effective job here, he channels a good interaction with both mom and pops and holds his own on the action scene. In fact, at some points you can actually see the old shine from his old man in him, you can actually believe he is Indiana's son, which is the most important part. What does trouble me is that the character is raw, and even if that problem was absent there's no changing the fact that there is no way he or anyone else can replace Harrison in the role he was born to play. I would love a sequel, yes please. But I would rather leave the series here all and out if the sequel would rather toy the idea of son replaces father as the ending here seems to suggest.

I'm sure I can't go anywhere without mentioning the other supports, non of which can ever match the magic of either Marcus Brody or Henry Jones Sr. both of whom are lovingly mentioned. If anything, it's Indie's show with his family. Cate Blanchett as the villain was not as good as I hoped her to be. While nonetheless holding her own against the new Jones boys, she does appear awkward as a villain at some points and perhaps mostly of all she falters in her final scene, which I believe fell flat.


But come on, I did not come into this movie thinking it was going to top the series, but it did work out magnificently in the end. It gives out some memorable scenes that are worthy of the series and if I were to rank it, I'd give it the position of 3rd in the series. Don't take that badly, seeing as how the series itself has been magnificent. And while it might not match fully the magic f the best of Indiana, it does prove itself worthy to stand beside it in the winner's podium. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go watch the original films a full five times each before sinking into a state of self-imposed nostalgic depression while waiting for the DVD release of the series' fourth. Thank you, Indiana, and welcome back.

8 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment